Skip to main content

Lake Champlain

I left work early yesterday for a hypnotherapy appointment. I love hypnotherapy - the state of relaxation is like water trickling around the rocks of my conscious mind. Eventually, they are entirely submerged and I'm floating peacefully, able to access potent emotions and imagery. Yesterday, I confronted some anger in my throat in the form of a rooster. I enveloped the rooster in honey-yellow sunshine until it relaxed, and I felt my entire body just sink into bliss and trust. It sounds kind of silly to write it out like that, and I will write more about hypnotherapy someday, but needless to say, I was walking on sunshine when I left my appointment yesterday.

I usually go for a walk following my appointments, and the waterfront of Lake Champlain (where I live) is the perfect setting for a peaceful, zen mind. I noticed a lot of delightful colors and textures, and pulled out the camera - which I have thankfully been keeping with me at all times. I touched these up with Picnik to bring out the depth and richness of the colors.

An orange-hulled boat and the blue Adirondack Mountains in the background...

At the end of Perkin's Pier...

A submerged stick...

and a duck on a rock. All good things.

I'm working on a shop update to include two little test subjects - a Panda and a Kiwi bird. I call them "test subjects" because they're essentially maquettes for sculptures. I wanted to try out different ways of representing both creatures - because they're interesting and have very distinct characteristics. There are so many ways you could play up the features of a panda and a kiwi. This is my first attempt, and while I'm happy with the result, they weren't quite what I was going for. Someone will think they're cute (I do think they're ridiculously cute, by the way), and they will be specially priced in my shop ASAP.

Sneaky peak:

Comments

  1. I also believe in hypnotherapy. It must be a wonderful experience. Do you see anything from your past or forgotten memories?

    The photos that you took are awesome! You must be really happy that you're living in such a beautiful place, so open and blue, perfect for relaxing and getting inspired.

    I absolutely adore your new lovelies! The Kiwi Birdie is 100% CUTE!!! And the panda is adorable! I'm in LOVE your elephant too! Oh look at the little carpet on his back! Cutiiiiiiiiiie!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *slaps face* omg a kiwi! a creature destined to be felted!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On Wool and the Future of Woolnimals

I love animals. The greatest moments in my life involve animals. In fact, there isn’t a fond memory that I have that doesn’t somehow include animals or the natural world.
It’s not surprising that my hobbies and artistic pursuits have always involved the animal world as well. Over time, my interests focused on needle felting and creating small friends that make me smile and bring joy to others. I’ve had my Woolnimals needle felting business for nearly a decade and it has been a huge source of happiness and relaxation for me.
Shortly before I left college, I changed my major from English to Eco-Psychology. I began studying the connections between humans and the natural world. My studies focused on the understanding that direct experiences with wilderness and the natural world foster compassion and a sense of place. In turn, this sense of belonging fosters stewardship for the natural world. When we feel that we’re an important part of something, we tend to take care of it. We come to …

Shop Update!

These new friends are now available in my Woolnimals Etsy Shop! Free shipping too!

Finding Art Again

It's been a while. A lot has happened.

I have been absent from Etsy, from Blogger, and from art, really, for a while. Though it has been such a home for me for many years, in the last few months various circumstances in life and down-in-the-dumps moods have kept me from wanting to pursue beauty.

Then, on July 14th, my father passed away unexpectedly.

So, how do you go back to art? How do you go home again?

I have tried writing and reading. I've tried seeking inspiration in nature, but as I watched rabbits bounce around the lawn every evening beyond the window where my father slept in hospice care, I turned away from the gentle and pervasive beauty of nature. Rabbits remind me of my broken heart, of many tears spilled, of my great loss.

How do I go back?

I want to honor him in some way. My father held a deep passion for the natural world. He was startled, mystified, inspired, humbled, and renewed by it. His long walks into the woods, his baths in cold streams, his peacefu…