Skip to main content

Pendants & Brooches - The Bird on Wire Studio Jewelry Line

I have been working very hard on this little project for a long time now. A month or so ago I was inspired to make pendants and brooches using these wood bezel settings from Etsy seller Brightcolorart. Each bezel setting is handmade from wood and oiled to a lovely finish. They are so light and beautiful to hold.

I added to the bezels a lovely background of felted wool or vintage Liberty of London Tana lawn fabric (lovely!) purchased from Etsy seller Anniespatch:

And then glued in my creations - the smallest little needlefelted creatures you can imagine. Polar bears, busts of foxes, rabbits, owls...all in miniature, all designed to be worn with pride. The fox busts almost look like mini taxidermy busts, but cuter! I'm so proud of these efforts and look forward to expanding on this idea. The brooches and pendants will be available in my Etsy shop very soon! I'm just waiting on the arrival of my fabric backings!

Here's a preview of my fox in progress:



My husband will be folding little origami boxes to hold these lovely pendants and brooches. The whole package supports Etsy sellers and independent artists. I'm very proud to have purchased the silver bails and brooch backs from a local shopkeeper - supporting my local economy as well as the Etsy economy.

So now you know why the plumpies have been few and far between. I've been making miniature works of art! Now, back to some larger creations while my fingers and eyes recover!!!

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness, that is so adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stumbled upon your blog when I googled something about gluing felt to wood. This is so cute! What glue did you use to attach the felt to the wood? I've been searching all over the internet for the best type of adhesive for this application. Is it a spray adhesive or tacky glue? I want something that won't bleed through the felt. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas in July Sale & GIVEAWAY!!!

I'm happy to announce I'll be participating in Etsy's annual Christmas in July sale! From July 15th to July 25th all domestic and international orders will include FREE SHIPPING! As usual, all of my items come gift-wrapped, so if you have your eye on something as a holiday or birthday gift, now's the time to take advantage of FREE SHIPPING ! Also, I'm officially announcing my first GIVEAWAY (*applause*)...This Giveaway is a blatant attempt to bring traffic to my shop and expose the world to the ridiculous cuteness of my creatures. It's also a way to say THANK YOU to anyone reading my blatherings on this blog all the time. So here goes... ********************************************************************************* Bird on Wire Studio's FIRST EVER GIVEAWAY FOR THE HECK OF IT! Rules: 1. Comment on this blog with your name and email (required) and you will be entered once. 2. Post this giveaway to your blog, twitter, facebook, etc. and leave me a separat...

100 Sales & Giveaway

I am so grateful to announce that my little Etsy shop has reached 100 sales!!! I originally opened my shop in 2006 to sell paintings of birds on wires, but reinvented myself this past year. I listed the first 20 needle felted items on March 2nd. Since then, I've received so much positive feedback, made so many friends, and have grown my art immensely (go take a look at the first few listings!) In celebration of the first 100 sales, I'm offering a giveaway! The giveaway prize is the Plumpie that started it all - featured on the Etsy Finds blog and the item that generated the first wave of real interest in my shop - the sitting fox . I will make you one of your own, but you can see an example below: To enter the giveaway, simply leave a comment with your contact information. One entry per person. The giveaway ends November 26th at 8:00 pm EST , with the drawing on November 27th. I'll announce the winner on Saturday, November 27th.

On Wool and the Future of Woolnimals

I love animals. The greatest moments in my life involve animals. In fact, there isn’t a fond memory that I have that doesn’t somehow include animals or the natural world. It’s not surprising that my hobbies and artistic pursuits have always involved the animal world as well. Over time, my interests focused on needle felting and creating small friends that make me smile and bring joy to others. I’ve had my Woolnimals needle felting business for nearly a decade and it has been a huge source of happiness and relaxation for me. Shortly before I left college, I changed my major from English to Eco-Psychology. I began studying the connections between humans and the natural world. My studies focused on the understanding that direct experiences with wilderness and the natural world foster compassion and a sense of place. In turn, this sense of belonging fosters stewardship for the natural world. When we feel that we’re an important part of something, we tend to take care of it. We com...